7.8.13

Container Potato

Potatoes.
I love potatoes. However, somehow, I always seem to forget they're in the house until they're spudding. It never fails.
So what do I say to my delicious organic red potatoes as they are trying to make little potato babies and no longer want to be a part of being cooked in a scrumptious potato leek soup?

Okay potatoes, you want to have babies, lets make some babies.

After watching a few youtube videos on the subject I decided to try my hand at indoor container potatoes.
Snow on the ground? No problem.
A few spudding potatoes you'd rather sow instead of compost? No problem.


Needed Items:
  • spudding potatoes (obviously)
  • containers (something large, 16 inches or bigger preferably)
  • soil
  •  good lighting (or a lamp if no windows are available)




The potatoes I planted were organic, so I wanted to make sure I used organic soil.  There are many other organic soil companies so don't feel like you have to use MiracleGro, that's just what I happened to have on hand.

The first thing you want to do is make sure your containers have proper drainage.
My buckets were really cheap and I had an abundance of them so what I ended up doing is taking one, filling it with rocks, and then taking another with holes poked in the bottom, and placing it inside the first. There are a million different ways to make sure you have proper drainage though, so go ahead and try it out another way if you'd like!

Put about 6 inches of soil inside the bottoms of your containers, and then place one potato in the center. (In one of my containers I placed 2, just to experiment)
I gave them a little water, and then added more soil, just enough to cover the potatoes.


After the potatoes are planted, place them in an area with good lighting.  If you don't have a window that will work feel free to use a lamp.  

As they sprout keep covering them with more soil and watering occasionally.
Once the leaves reach the top of the pot, stop covering them. (Obviously, or you'll have dirt all over the floor!)

From here on out, it's so easy!
Just keep watering the potatoes occasionally, and make sure they are still getting the proper amount of light.  They will keep growing and growing until they decide they're done.

 (see that out the window, still snow on the ground!)





(Aren't they beautiful?)

If at any point they start to topple over just place some fencing or chicken wire around them to give them some support.

Eventually they will start to die back.
This is absolutely normal so don't worry when the leaves start to brown and the stem starts to shrivel up!

Once they have died back a good amount it's time to harvest! I waited until the tops of mine were basically completely dead, but it is safe to harvest if there is still a bit of green left in the leaves also, as long as the majority is died back.

Now the fun part, dumping them out!
Go outside, use a wheelbarrow, do it on your kitchen floor, whatever you want. It's messy, and it's awesome.
Dump your containers and rummage around in the dirt to discover your buried treasure!





There you have it, super easy.
When I was first reading up on how to do it, I figured it would take about 6 months from planting to harvesting. HOWEVER, it took way less time than that, so don't be surprised if you can harvest in as little as 3!

And just in case you need more inspiration as to why you should plant your spudding potatoes...

No comments:

Post a Comment